PkrPwr: A Handful Of Bad Players Can Take Turns Defeating A Very Good Player

November 21st, 2012  :  Written by Patriot #1

Be a Poker Patriot Now

In spite of fish play and bad calls, it is possible for a bad player to outdraw a good player in an ongoing succession. It almost seems like math: lots of players with a bad hand = 1 player with a good hand.

Its one of the great mysteries of poker that a table of bad players can be almost as hard to beat as a table of good players. If the good player played against any of these individual weak players one-on-one, he’d destroy him. Bring them together in a group though and something weirdly serendipitous happens that helps protect them.

There must be something going on here. Some equation must be at work – some principle in nature where weak units combine and achieve strength beyond their individual capacity. And there is of course – it’s everywhere in nature, from spider threads that are fragile and delicate when taken singly but strong when woven together, to the cohesion of water droplets above the rim of the glass [each droplet weak on its own], to the concept of the herd where a single animal can be picked off by a predator, but sticking together in a large group protects them. The fact is that people who play poker poorly gain strength in numbers.

This is especially true if the group operates as a united front [example: if they all stay till the river]. Poker theorist Andy Morton called this “schooling”. It’s almost as if bad players sense it. They hang together like the citizens of a small town against the tough hombres who ride in to shoot up the place. They hang together in the face of this assault by one or two very good players. Together, they are protected. And crazy enough, in poker, it works.

What are the Poker Essentials?

It’s harder to beat a group at anything. It’s rarely the quality of opposition that gets you, it’s usually the numbers.

More from PkrPwr: Advice For Playing   |   Comments Off on PkrPwr: A Handful Of Bad Players Can Take Turns Defeating A Very Good Player   

Why “Undergrounders” Will Act In Your Best Interest

November 20th, 2012  :  Written by Patriot #1

In short, because it’s in their best interest to act in your best interest.

And by “undergrounders”, Business Week means the private companies that continue to serve the American poker market who are currently signing up American poker players by the thousands.

Check our Best Places to Play List for a Who’s In/Who’s Out of poker.

The private companies know that this is a critical time in the development of the American Poker Market. With the apple cart upset by the UIGE Act, both public and private companies are rushing around slapping deals together as fast as they can. It is entirely in their interest to make sure that every poker player is welcomed with easy sign-ups and healthy bonuses. In fact, there’s probably never been a better time to be an American poker player than right now.

That said, there are still the nasty issues of the UIGE Act and the culture of corruption that installed it.

Jim Leach of Iowa, one of the underhanded politicians responsible for this mess was defeated in the recent election. We’ll just have to wait and see what the rest of the new political landscape brings in the new year. Killing the UIGE Act will take more time and effort. And with 50 million American poker players working at it, it will be killed – dead.

As SportingBet’s Nigel Payne put it – “Do you think the Internet or gambling is going to disappear in the next ten years?”

No, it won’t. In fact, it’s growing every second of every minute of every day. That’s why the “undergrounders” are there – to serve you, the poker player, and the ever growing American Poker Market.

Talk Poker. Play Poker. Because Poker is America.

Read the rest of this entry »

More from Articles & Analysis   |   Comments Off on Why “Undergrounders” Will Act In Your Best Interest   

PkrPwr: Even If A Game Is 90% Luck, Skill Will Be The Deciding Factor

November 19th, 2012  :  Written by Patriot #1

Be a Poker Patriot

You sometimes hear the statement made, usually from someone who’s losing, that “This game is 90% luck”.

The way the person says it tells you they don’t realize the difference between a game that is 90% luck and a game that is 100% luck.

The two things are not the same. In fact, a skillful player eagerly anticipates a game that is 90% luck, because he knows it will seem like it is all luck to his opponents – making them believe they have a chance. At the same time, he can use the 10% skill factor to gradually grind them down without their knowing what is happening. In fact, in a game where skill is more of a factor, his skill might become too apparent to them, and they’d quit.

“Given enough time, the skillful player knows how to work around this thing called luck.” ~ Louis Asmo, Poker Player

Skill is the deciding factor.

More from PkrPwr: Advice For Playing   |   Comments Off on PkrPwr: Even If A Game Is 90% Luck, Skill Will Be The Deciding Factor   

The Push and Pull of Poker in the USA

November 18th, 2012  :  Written by Patriot #1

Pamela Poker

Two more casualties of poker prohibition announce their departure from the American market while, at the same time, poker play in the USA continues to peak and peak and peak.

Doesn’t seem to make any sense.

Friday, Tribeca Tables Network said it would be pulling out of the U.S. and gave it’s brand members like Scarlet Poker and Doyle’s Room six months to find an alternative supplier. Pamela Anderson also threw in the towel on Pamela Poker with a brief on her website.

On the other hand, the good people at Casino City confirm that poker play just keeps on growing and growing in America.

So business keeps leaving and customers keeping growing. You don’t need a roadmap to see this opportunity, or national schizophrenia.

For the latest list of the Best Places to Play, always check Poker Patriots

Read the rest of this entry »

More from Articles & Analysis   |   Comments Off on The Push and Pull of Poker in the USA   

PkrPwr: Don’t Expect your Mad Skills to Dominate in a Single Game

November 17th, 2012  :  Written by Patriot #1

Click for the Poker Player Essentials

This is a common trap some players fall into. They expect their superior game over bad players to emerge in a single session, and they become angry when it doesn’t. Unfortunately, as we have seen, expertise emerges over the long run in the game of poker. In fact, the structure of the game is set up as a kind of “safety net” for the bad player. He has to make a ton of mistakes in order to climb out of this net – and he will, eventually. But it will often allow him to hang on for a surprisingly long time before his mistakes catch up with him.

So you’ll be in games where it’s obvious you’re the better player, and yet, no matter what you do you can’t get it into the game you’re playing.

Don’t force it – that usually backfires and makes matters worse.

Play your game. Good players always come out ahead in the end.

More from PkrPwr: Advice For Playing   |   Comments Off on PkrPwr: Don’t Expect your Mad Skills to Dominate in a Single Game   

« Previous Entries Next Entries »


copyright © 2oo6-2021 Poker Patriots   |   A Member of the Freshplay Network   |   Mostly valid XHTML & CSS   |   Powered by Wordpress